Friday 18 June 2010

Something for the Weekend -London Docklands Timelapse

As the last time lapse was such a hit I decided to shoot another one last night while visiting one of my friends....

I set my Canon 5d Mk 2 with an 'L' series 24/105 F4 zoom lens, though 'only' F4 this lens truly is the 'get out of jail free' card of lenses

This versatile zoom is unfarly ranked as a 'kit' lens but it is VERY sharp and it is one of the 3 standard lenses which I go out the door with along with the 'L'  series 35mm F1.4 and, you guessed it, the 'L' series 85mm F1.2


London Docklands Timelapse from drew gardner on Vimeo.


Triggered with a Canon TC-80N3, shooting a shot every 5 seconds

Left the whole rig running on my amazing Gitzo 5561SGT tripod, with its Manfrotto 405 Head.

This tripod is indespensible if you are working on a ladder or need maximum stability, even though you will see a couple of 'bumps' in the sequence, it was soooooooooooo windy, perhaps I should have sand bagged it?

I put the whole thing together in Final Cut Pro, though my friend Alex Ray of 'The Flash Centre' tells me that good easy way of doing it is in Quicktime 7, I will be trying this out next week and will let you know how I get on
 
Anyway off to watch the England match.....

BTW I can't quite work why the 10 'dead' seconds are on the time lapse at the start. It is only 50 seconds long but when uploaded it mysteriously becomes 60 seconds, any suggestions?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

The England game was so disappointing. Were you there? Can you cheer me up by telling me how to set up my camera for correct exposure to record timelapse? I assume you use manual and therefore the exposure changes as the sun sets (or rises)? I tried it in aperture priority once but obviously the camera is then trying to maintain exposure. Any tips gratefully received.

Unknown said...

Hey Dudley

Not there in person, just winced like the rest of the country in front of the telly, just where is their passion?
Anyway time lapse...I would love to know the answer to your query regarding the exposure, I too have tried the auto route that you took and it just did not work for me either, the frames all looked the same. If anyone knows the answer, let us know?

Cheers

Drew